Food: Storecupboard Challenge Day 4

Breakfast



The coconut that I infused yesterday for the chowder was added to a bowl of porridge (storecupboard) this morning and topped with some defrosted and warmed cherries (freezer). How do you make your porridge? I always used to make mine with milk but one day switched to a mix of milk and hot water. I use oat milk these days as I’m not keen on cow’s milk. I also used to love a sprinkle of brown sugar, but I have really weaned myself off the sweet stuff.

Lunch 


Still trying to include as much fresh produce as possible before it turns bad, but I am having to be more creative to keep it interesting. So, this is a Lentil & Tomato salad (recipe link here). I used baby leaves instead of just spinach, and added the red onion & tomatoes (all from fridge). I had a packet of ambient puy lentils in the cupboard so those were microwaved until warm, and I added half a toasted mini naan (freezer). The dressing (made with oil, mango chutney, garlic and cumin) was really nice, and I think this salad would also make a good accompaniment to a curry.

Dinner


This Sweet & Sour Chicken was a recipe from the Hairy Dieters (Bikers) that I had made a few months ago and frozen, so in effect was a frozen ready meal. It was absolutely delicious when I first made it, but I think the quality and texture has suffered a little in the freezing. Still tasted fine, but it didn't have that lovely smooth glossy mouth-feel on eating. This was accompanied by a couple of small glasses of white wine.

I also ate a portion of dried apricots to up my fruit & veg intake. Did you know that although a portion of fruit or vegetables is usually around 80g, a dried portion is only 30g - in the case of dried apricots, this equates to 5 or 6.

Summary
For a working day, these were actually really easy meals to either pull together or heat up. I really missed my piece of fresh fruit for lunch though. Frustratingly, I have now created more leftovers in the form of the rest of the Puy lentils - I think this is the downfall of solo cooking.

Total cooking time: 32 minutes (30 hob, 2 microwave for cherries and lentils)
Total calories: 1,181
Total fruit/veg portions: 5
Total food waste: none

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts