Food: Storecupboard Challenge Day 2




Breakfast
It was make or break day for my least favourite fruit - the banana. I thought I would fully embrace it and have it with a breakfast muffin (from freezer) and peanut butter. 

Well that it is a food combination that does not go well together. It reminded me of going on a school trip on a hot summers day and your PB sandwich has taken on the flavour of the banana (and on a side note, do you remember warm orange squash in a Tupperware drink container). Once tried and never to be repeated.




Lunch
Three mini scotch eggs and salad. I tried to ring the changes on the salad by adding some raw pepper slices and a little garlic and herb sauce. Again, I’m not a big fan of supermarket scotch eggs - my favourite are a vegetarian version that was in a little Boots recipe book over 30 years ago. 

The last of the grapes served as my dessert.



Dinner
I wanted something that would go well with the broccoli that has started to go brown, so unearthed a portion of homemade beef stew from the freezer. I’m not exactly sure what recipe it was but I think it was a slow cooker stew with dumplings because I found a lucky little piece of dumpling in it 😄! Not the most seasonally appropriate dinner considering the heat wave that we are experiencing, but delicious none the less. I threw in the last two Yorkshire puddings from a pack in the freezer to the air fryer.

Dessert was the final portion of the Waitrose Rhubarb & Custard trifle, and I also enjoyed a glass of red wine.

Summary
Another pretty easy day today, but I'm glad to have eaten up the bits and pieces that I'm not too keen on. From tomorrow, there will be more focus on the freezer as there is very little fresh food left. Sometimes when I am saving portions here and there I wonder when I will eat them, but today serves as a reminder that actually they are just as delicious defrosted and reheated.


Total cooking time: 23 minutes - 4 mins (air fryer); 4 mins (microwave); 15 mins (hob)
Total calories: 1,489
Total fruit/veg portions: 5+ (there was at least a part portion of carrots/mushrooms in the stew
Food waste: small brown broccoli floret

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts