Food: Storecupboard Challenge Day 3



This was my fridge at the beginning of Day 3, so you can see it has reduced in volume, although there is still quite a bit of veg in the bottom drawer.

Breakfast



So much better than yesterday’s affair, today was a cinnamon & raisin bagel (freezer) with some warmed cherries (freezer). I had forgotten how much I love cherries, and there is something so decadent about dipping the bagel in the cherry juice!

Lunch



I defrosted a portion of chargrilled vegetables at breakfast, fried it lightly then poured in the last two (slightly out of date now) beaten eggs to make a kind of frittata.  I also added a dessert spoon of parmesan cheese (out of date - not too sure on how far I can push this one). The eggs were only two days out of date and I usually do the float test to check if they are OK. Pop into any container and fill with water. If they float, discard.

Dessert was the last item in my fruit bowl - the apple.


Dinner

Fish Chowder for dinner. I did put a bit of thought into this one as I wanted to use some frozen Smoked Haddock. This was actually a great candidate for a freezer meal as the prawns, haddock and green pepper all came from the freezer. I didn't have any celery (and didn't substitute it with anything) nor any old potatoes, but used two of the new ones. The parsley came from my garden.

Well this was a real winner for me. Totally not something I would cook for the family as they are not massive fish eaters and one in particularly hates the smell of fish.

I did have to soak some desiccated coconut in boiling water for the fish stock but the coconut itself wasn't used in the chowder, so I have saved that to make use of tomorrow somehow!

Summary
Well it is getting a bit more challenging, but that is what I wanted! There is a real element of planning involved in this challenge. Today I was a bit short on the five a day so added in some dried apricots as an evening snack.

Total cooking time: 30 minutes (hob)
Total calories: 1,056
Total fruit/veg portions: 5.5
Total food waste: none

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts