Life: May 2023


plate of croquembouche filled with dulce de leche and dusted with icing sugar


40 Before 50: Croquembouche
I finally got round to making the croquembouche that was on my 40 Before 50 list! I was spurred on by an invitation to my son's girlfriend's parents for Sunday lunch. Not only that, but my son helped make them - which might account for the irregular piping!

We used the Jamie Oliver recipe here and it did end up being a bit of a caramel overload. However, they were demolished, and I no longer have any ambition to make another croquembouche!

Two rattan outdoor chairs with large chevron grey and white cushions

Curtains to Curtains and Curtains to Cushions
My youngest son desperately needed some new curtains for his student room. In true student house style, the landlord provided very thin curtains which aren't even hemmed! I managed to eek out three pleated curtains (he has a bay window) out of my old eyelet bedroom curtains.

large grey Maine Coon cat with a self-satisfied expression on his face sits on my newly sewn outdoor cushions
Dougie certainly loves the new cushions!

And, in replacing another pair of curtains (this time for the eldest son at home) I decided that the fabric would actually make some really good outdoor cushions. I went for a simple envelope fold, and by using the hem on the envelope part, it was even easier than normal.

Front of the Russell-Cotes gallery. Three round turrets and steps leading to a balcony

Russell-Cotes Museum and Art Gallery
On one of our many trips to Bournemouth, we stopped to explore the Russell-Cotes Gallery. It is a really beautiful building and houses an impressive personal art collection.

Part of the ceiling at Russell-Cotes. Clouds, horses and cherubs against a pale blue sky.

Some of the most impressive elements were the ceilings, either painted or glass!

Long stained glass panel in the ceiling. Also shows the balconied gallery.

A richly painted ceiling in ambers and golds in a Moorish style


Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts