Travel: Short Break in Oxford


My husband travels fairly frequently for work, and sometimes he stays somewhere that I am also tempted by and ask to tag along. So I accompanied him for a visit to Oxford back in March. I have been a couple of times before but not for a few years and I had a few places that I really wanted to visit.

Collage showing a japanese kite, barkcloth, a set of Inuits and dog sled made of bone and the Pitt Rivers Museum


The Pitt Rivers Museum is one of these. It is such a fascinating museum, and sits just behind the Oxford Natural History Museum. Every surface is packed with objects from around the world and there are also drawers and cabinets brimming with even more artefacts that you can discover. I loved the Inuit dog sled carved of bone, and was really taken with the Japanese kites and the barkcloth.

Christ Church, Oxford

The following morning I set off for a walk around Christ Church Meadows, which was pleasant enough in March, but I can imagine would be absolutely stunning in late summer. It takes you along by the river where you may be lucky enough to see some of the Oxford boat race team.

Front of Christ Church College, Oxford

Christ Church College was one of the filming locations for Harry Potter. I didn't take the tour - something for another day maybe.

Entrance arch at Oxford botanical gardens with magnolia

The walk from the meadows rather handily rounds up near the Oxford Botanical Gardens which was my next destination.

Magnolia blossom

Given how early in the year it was, the flower beds weren't at their best. However, it was still an interesting trip.

Yellow daffodils with orange cups

I love daffodils with such a contrasting cup, and I kept stooping down to look at the colours of the hellebores from underneath.

Pink hellebore flower shot from below

This little hothouse is back by the entrance which I stopped in after my walk around. The smell was absolutely heavenly. I could have easily sat there with a book all morning!

Scented hothouse at Oxford Botanical Gardens

And finally, I did a bit of book shopping - not too much! I also discovered this wonderful stationery shop called Scriptum...but I was restrained!

Stationery window display at Scriptum, Oxford


Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts