40 Before 50: Espadrille Sandals



One of the things on my 40 before 50 list was to make a pair of espadrilles. I have had the soles for about a year now but because my feet are size 5.5 (and you can only buy full sizes), I thought it would be better to try to make some sandals instead.




There is a pattern for some tie front espadrilles in Burda 6/2020 and this is what I used to base my version on.




I chose this really cool canvas alpaca fabric for the upper and some plain linen lining, and added in just a dash of bottle green trim. My lovely colleague, Abi has a pair of llama pumps, so I am making these with reference to those. 

The actual machine sewing was very straightforward - sew 3 1/2 sides, turn out and finish by hand.




To attach to the sole, I bought the Prym espadrille accessory kit which includes a point turner and the biggest scariest needles you could ever imagine! I’ve never sewn blanket stitch before, but the instructions were clear and I don’t think I’ve done too bad a job of them.

I really like them …until I wear them. The natural colour does not work well with my ultra pale skin tone. However, I can easily switch these out for a darker colour, which is what I will probably do next weekend. 

This is not my first attempt at footwear, I did make myself a pair of slippers way back in the day. I also loved the canvas shoes that they made on the sewing bee this year, but I think at around £80, it could be an expensive mistake.

Love Mrs Jones x 

Comments

Popular Posts