40 Before 50: Westonbirt Arboretum



Experiencing Autumn at Westonbirt Arboretum has long been on my wish list, and indeed it is one of the things that I wanted to do before I turn 50. Yes, I realise this post is finally being published in the Summer - I'm just having a moment!



My husband had been doing some teaching at an agricultural university nearby so I took advantage of that and a random week off with nothing better to do, to visit.



Typically, just as we arrived, it started to rain and was one of those November days where it feels as though it has never got light enough. However, armed with a takeaway tea (which I normally loathe, but I really needed the benefit of the heat for my cold fingers) we went for our walk.



So, there may be over 2,500 different species of tree at Westonbirt, but we had mainly gone to see the autumn colour of the maples and acers. And they didn’t disappoint. They felt like beacons of colour shining bright against the dull November sky.


On a day with finer weather, I could have walked all day, but we did only concentrate on the areas we thought would be most autumnal given the relatively short time period we had. 


Although it is a really impressive place, at £11 each, it does feel quite expensive. We also had to arrive within a 20 minute time slot and we’re not allowed entry any earlier. These may have been Covid rules and May no longer be operational.





I would love to revisit in the Spring to see the blossom, but maybe that will be for me “things to do before 60 list“ 😀!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts