Garden: Early Spring 2021

The finished vegetable area

The biggest thing to happen this month was to expand my vegetable garden with another raised bed, bringing the total to three. Even this doesn’t seem enough! We have also greatly expanded the gravel area from what was the shade bed to encompass the raised beds and it is so much more practical. Now I can access the beds and the water butt without having to walk on my horrible lawn (too wet in winter, cracked in summer - the perils of clay). It means that the fruit and vegetables growing in containers can all be together too.





I’m using chicken wire to keep the cats off because I use wool pellets as slug deterrent which they absolutely love and squash all my seedlings in the process!

In my square bed I currently have:
Rhubarb (Timperley Early): planted in Autumn. I have to resist picking any stems this year in order to have a healthy plant next year.
Peas (Douce Provence): these are now about 10cm tall
Beetroot: not yet germinated
Carrots: not yet germinated
Chives: harvesting daily
Little gem lettuce: bought and planted as plug plants. One has already been completely demolished by slugs 😟.




In my old veg bed I have:
Peas (Douce Provence): at seedling stage
Radish: at seedling stage
Spring onion: not yet germinated
Swiss Chard (Bright Lights): harvesting now but looking quite tatty as they were last year’s plantings
Onion (a red variety that I can’t recall)
Purple Sprouting: harvesting now

In my new veg bed:
Kale: bought as plug plants and they have barely survived the winter. I think they will prefer the new bed and they are also under a mesh tunnel as we suffered quite badly with caterpillars on the brassicas last year.




Also growing:
Strawberries: established plants
Blueberries: established plant
Gooseberry: planted last Autumn
Extra early potatoes Swift - almost ready for a first earthing up, and Anya potatoes just planted.

In the greenhouse
Rocket: seedling stage 
Butternut squash: not yet germinated 
Parsley: not yet germinated
Coriander: not yet germinated
Patty pan squash: not yet germinated
Brussels sprouts: bought as plug plants
Romaine lettuce: bought as plug plants
Tomatoes: bought as plants
Chilli: bought as plants
Cucumber: bought as plants
French and dwarf french beans: just sown
Peas Rondo: just sown

I get quite impatient at this time of year, wanting to sow too much, but I’m trying to stay in control. It like the promise of delicious fruit and vegetables to come.

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts