Nature Weekend in Forest of Dean
This year, I have had a real intent on trying to do something nature oriented each month. So, at the beginning of July, we went to the Forest of Dean for a bit of a nature weekend. The main focus of the weekend was an evening Wildlife Safari with Liz Drewitt which we had pre-booked.
We started out by stopping at Slimbridge (the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust site), which coming from Somerset made a slightly elongated journey to the Forest of Dean. If you like birds, it is well worth a visit.
Although there are a lot of native birds (with a focus on wetland habitats) at Slimbridge, there are others there such as the Nene which is a Hawaiian goose. There is a mix of enclosure style environments and then hides look out onto the estuary.
The gardens and surrounding area at Slimbridge are really lovely and it would be a great place to visit as a family. We decided to hire a canoe whilst we were there. If you are lucky you might see kingfishers, however, as the designated person steering the canoe, we were probably concentrating too much on going in the right direction!

The following day, as my husband had brought his exam marking with him, I indulged in my first experience in a floatation tank at Float in the Forest. It is quite a strange experience and I didn't feel I could close the floatation pod completely. It was deeply relaxing though.
![]() |
| One of the oldest Holm Oaks in the country |
As National Trust members, it seemed rude not to visit Westbury Court Gardens as we were in the area. This is one of their smaller places and there is no historic house to visit. But the water gardens are really lovely.
As I am writing this, at the tail end of August, I can't quite believe that the heatwave had started at the beginning of July (or possibly earlier), but looking back at the photos, I do remember how hot it was.
And after a game of pirate mini-golf (a mini-break isn't a mini-break without crazy golf, right?) it was finally time to meet in a lay-by (and pray to God it was one known for dogging) for the wild boar walk.
Obviously, since my walk, every person that I have spoken to that has been to the Forest of Dean tells me a story of their accidental encounter with wild boar!
Love Mrs Jones x













Comments
Post a Comment
I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!