Sewn: FibreMood Kika Dress

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to FibreMood. Edition 21 (Autumn 2022) was the first magazine that I bought - I like it better than Burda as there seem to be lots more wearable patterns in it.

Sketch of Kika Dress in pen and coloured pencil

I bought a small piece of beautiful 1960s vintage cloth from a local shop called the Emporium. The label shows it as Fothergay Doyley. I spent a long time thinking about buying it (£12.50 seemed quite a bit for 1 metre of fabric), but glad I finally did.


I knew that I wanted to incorporate it as a bodice somewhere and the Kika dress really struck me as being a suitable candidate. I had a very fixed idea in my head of needing a pop of bright orange with the turquoise blue.

Attaching the orange pom pom trim to the bodice

The sewing was really simple and my cotton fabrics were just so easy and stable to sew with - no grumbles this time from my sewing machine! I made the job a little more difficult in needing to move those pesky pompoms out of the way.

Top of the dress in white, turquoise and orange

I must be the world's worst estimator of how much pompom trim to buy, because I had a lot left over. So I put it out to social media - pompom trim or no pompom trim! And clearly the trim won (well I was going to go with it anyway)!!

No trim option

I do think this dress really reminds me of the Rodda clotted cream cartons. My husband says it was giving him Midsommar vibes!

Or with the trim

The orange really does make a difference to me. Here I am sporting my new dress at the Hampton Court Flower Show!

Top half of white woman in white and turquoise dress

I'm glad I opted for the longer sleeves as this Summer is not proving to be very warm.


...and I am pleased with the pattern matching too. I really like how the facing works and attaches so neatly on the inside.


And a little photo of the back as well. One thing to note is not to run the iron over the trim as it will very easily melt - ask me how I know!


And one final photo of the hem! Really not many construction notes because it was just so straightforward to sew. I selected the size based on my bust measurement as stated in the pattern - it is a very relaxed fit.


Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts