Home: Cloakroom Jungle Transformation




Coinciding with the very start of lockdown, I decided to refresh my magnolia downstairs cloakroom with something a lot more adventurous. I knew that I wanted a jungle foliage look and that a bit of bold experimentation in the downstairs loo would be okay. 



I earmarked three wallpapers and put it to the Facebook vote. The one that most people liked, was also the one that I liked, and also the most expensive at £60 a roll for Versace Giungla. What really appealed was that the pattern repeat was not too obvious.



I confess that the last time I wallpapered anything was my eldest son’s room with a map mural and my husband and I almost divorced over it (well we didn’t but he did vow never to wallpaper anything with me again). Which is how my youngest son was co-opted into helping with this project. 




The paper was fantastic quality, but obviously there was the huge pattern repeat to deal with. However, the result looks good and I only needed the one roll. The remaining walls are Dulux Buckingham Green in Matt emulsion (usually sold as an exterior gloss, but can be made up in a different finish). 



It has taken a while to get the finishing touches right. I swapped out the previously lilac blind with an off white one that was in the family bathroom. I bought a lovely pendant light from Ikea which didn’t fit so I currently have a hammered metal light that was previously in the dining room (though I’m still looking for a rattan replacement).



Finally, the open (and tremendously rickety) shoe rack has been replaced by a smart shoe cupboard from The Range (£140). I actually bought the snake mirror (£37.50) from a wonderful local shop before I bought the wallpaper. Pictures are my own experiments with cyanotypes framed.



None of the sanitary ware or flooring were changed.



Now that I have finished, I have a thirst for continuing the more adventurous look further into the house. Realistically the hall and landing are crying out to be refreshed but this will need to be contracted. However, I already have tentative plans for the master bedroom and downstairs office (neither of which have been decorated in the last ten years).


Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts