Sewn: Burda 04/2017 #117 Cutout Back Dress




This is my second time of sewing this pattern (see first here back in 2017). I think the original is one of my most worn handmade items, probably because it transitions well between work and home and is so easy to wash and wear. It’s also made from cotton which is such a nice fabric for a hot day, and especially when you get to your late 40s and everything makes you hot and sweaty!



This version is made with a pale green Rose and Hubble cotton poplin Marla Green (£7.25 a metre at Croftmill). It has a twig and pale pink berry print. If Me Made May taught me only one thing, it was that I do not need any more navy items in my wardrobe! So, my recent fabric purchases have been “anything but blue”. 



I made a slight miscalculation with how much fabric I needed (the pattern states 1.5m but the width of my fabric was a lot narrower than that). But, hey, I did squeeze it all in, even if it meant that one piece of bias binding is actually straight binding. The bodice lining is a grey (unused) bed sheet though! 


Again, I cut the size 80 (UK 14) - I didn't find the fact that it was a tall pattern a particular problem as my torso is probably disproportionately long for someone who is only 5' 2".


I particularly love the cutout panel at the back of this dress - although it is really difficult to photograph. As you can see, I am no better at inserting invisible zips. 



I had no need to use my overlocker on this one as it is such a stable fabric (and it had nothing to do with the fact that it would have meant changing the threads to a more suitable colour)!

I have a small stash of just purchased fabric that I want to get going on, and I am loving my Burda subscription. Watch this space!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts