Sewn: Sew Different Everyday Chic Dress Pattern Review



Perfect synergy when you chance upon exactly the right fabric for the dress pattern that you want to make next. I fell in love with this fine needle cord fir tree fabric in a muted navy and gold, which was a bargain from Abakhan at £5.99 per metre. It speaks Autumn/Winter to me and I think I'm going to get lots of wear out of it. I bought the pattern (Everyday Chic Dress from Sew Different) at the same time as the Tulip Dress.



And not only was the fabric perfect, but it was a super quick make. I sewed it over a couple of days but could easily have done it in one, I just didn't want to rush the shirring.



I sewed a size 12, and dare I say it is a little big, even with the shirring. However, I like the more relaxed fit in this fabric, though I might size down in future. The dress has no closures or zips and I do have a deep fear of getting stuck in a dress (when I was first on steroids (medical) I actually had to cut myself out of a couple of dresses). 



The pockets (big enough to hide a novel) are one of the best things about this pattern. In fact, when wearing this dress, I could probably bin-off my handbag altogether.



There is shirring on the centre back and optional shirring on the front sides. I did need to add this to stop it being mumsy. I have never shirred before and it certainly isn't perfect, but the moment when you apply a little steam and the elastic contracts is really quite satisfying. I found it quite a challenge getting the tension through the bobbin right.



In short, I love it and started wearing it as soon as I finished it. It's also very strokeable!

Love Mrs Jones x








Comments

  1. What a fun dress, it looks so chic and needle cord comfy. The shirting seems brave, I've never done that - yet. :) Nice, nice dress.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much. I am drawn to wearing it as often as I would wear jeans. I have enough fabric left over for a skirt too 😄.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts