Sewn: Sew Different Tulip Dress



I bought this fabulous John Kaldor peachskin fabric (£8.99 per metre) from Minerva Crafts and used it to sew the Sew Different Tulip Dress. I sewed this up a couple of months ago now and can't remember too much about the construction. As the fabric is a border print, I spent a long time deliberating over where to place the pattern. I'm happy with the way this worked out as I really wanted a flow to the flowers. 

Mid-construction


I had never come across Sew Different before, but actually bought two patterns (the other is the Everyday Chic Dress). The patterns are beautifully printed on quality paper, and the instruction booklet is pretty good too.



The pattern calls for a mid-weight fabric and my peachskin fabric choice is definitely light-weight, but I thought it might work anyway. 

Things I like
  • The pleat detail at the front
  • The fact that it has no fastenings and you can just throw it on
  • That it has generous pockets
  • The shape, especially given my fabric choice.

Things I'm not so keen on
  • My pocket placement is a little too low, but I'm too lazy to make a muslin.
  • My sewing of the facing is terrible - I really messed up turning out that V
  • The sleeve finishing: after trying to hem normally, I ended up unpicking and finishing with bias binding instead. It's much neater but something isn't quite right.
Apologies - my backside looks huge in this shot!

I've worn this dress several times to work and once out to a dinner and find it really easy to wear. However, I do find that the pockets start to turn inside out now and again, so I need to fix this. I have to remember not to wear this if I need to walk far during my lunch hour as the shape of the skirt inhibits too wide a stride!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts