Sewn: Megan Nielsen Hovea Jacket (Quilt Jacket)




It was a big risk deciding to cut into one of my favourite quilts (I made it in 2013 for my youngest son, Fred). It took me an age to make the first cut. How many quilts do you need in your life anyway? And I reasoned with myself, that I can always make another (and almost certainly will).




At this point, I was still a bit undecided on whether I had done the right thing. I bought the Megan Nielsen Hovea Jacket pattern. I barely had enough to fit the pattern for the cropped jacket on the quilt - and I certainly didn't have enough for the pockets too. I cut a Size 4.




The main advantage of using a quilt that has already been made is not needing to bother lining it, and with a bit of careful placement, you can get away with not needing to bind all the edges - I just lined up my pattern with the edge of the quilt.



The only binding that I did was on the front edges - in one continuous piece. I did decide to add in the hanging loop - very handy. The other modification I made was to omit the ties (I lost patience with turning narrow bands) and added a toggle instead - I actually prefer the look of it on this version.


When I made this quilt, I wasn't very confident at the quilting (I'm still not) and had just quilted in the ditch. However, I felt that the Hovea needed a bit more quilt definition but I didn't want something too stiff. So, I just did a quick diagonal cross hatch over all the pieces.



I didn't need to refer to the pattern much at all, which is great, because some of the Burda patterns I have sewn up lately have me racking my brains at what they can be asking me.


It feels lovely and warm and snuggly...ooh, just like wearing my favourite quilt! Great for an Autumn (or Spring walk). I am currently contemplating whether this is an acceptable jacket for a work zoom meeting when it gets cold, or will my colleagues think I'm in a bed jacket!!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. It is very cute! I have been debating on sewing a quilt jacket, maybe some day... I do recognize this fabric, I had started a quilt long ago with some fat quarters of it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danette, thanks so much for your comment - it's great fabric, isn't it? I want to say it is something like Parson Gray?

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts