Eco: Mending




Sometimes spending time on the small things can make a big difference. I’ve recently been doing a spot of mending on items that we might previously have thrown away, and where we haven’t been able to do this ourselves, we have made use of our local Timpsons (who do far more than just shoe repairs and key cutting). It’s not about the cost, but more about challenging our throwaway culture.



Replacing a belt buckle
My husband’s belt buckle snapped on his comfortable leather belt. A replacement buckle was ordered and neatly sewn back in with several strands of embroidery floss and a leather needle. I’m way more excited than I should be about repairing this one because I set so much higher standards on repairs for other people.

Darning a hole
This is not something I have ever done before. I really like the idea of visible mending, but my embroidery skills are paltry. My husband said that I don’t need to darn a hole in a jumper, and he is probably right, but when that jumper is such a gorgeous colour and is slouchy and comfortable, it’s sometimes hard to let it go.

Not mending a tuck lock
My third repair attempt was to replace a tuck lock that had broken on my leather backpack. Again, I really liked this bag and desperately wanted to repair it. The replacement lock arrived but was a couple of millimetres too large and there was no way that I could pierce the leather again. So sadly this bag was binned. However, I have saved the replacement tuck lock to put to use in another project for another day.

Love Mrs Jones x



Comments

Popular Posts