Sewn: Sew News Bala Wrap Top

Bala Wrap Top reflected in mirror

After recently seeing and loving the Bala top that SharonSews made, I bought the PDF pattern pack (Plush) ($14.99) from Sew News myself. I am not a big fan of PDF patterns - they are a bit of a faff to put together, but it was just about tolerable to create a top.

Bala wrap top next to Christmas tree



The Bala top is super easy to sew and has minimal pieces. 

Anyway, I didn't want to purchase any more fabric for this top and I thought I would have just about fabric left over from the trousers I made earlier this year. The pattern suggests lightweight fabric such as double gauze but my fabric is a medium weight woven stretch from Minerva. It is a great fabric to sew actually. I had to do a little pattern matching on the tie facings to fit the fabric and the sleeves are constructed with some black polycotton as there was just not enough to finish it.

Bala wrap top without vest top showing



I sewed a size Small, based on my bust measurement, and it was a good fit.

As mentioned earlier, the construction was very simple and I sewed it using both my overlocker and sewing machine. The instructions are very straightforward - which is a treat after my last few makes being from the Burda Magazine (which at times I find not very detailed).

Bala wrap top with vest top showing


There are two things that I would like to change:
  • Firstly the length - I just feel it could be a little longer to feel comfortable (maybe it's because I like things to disguise my problem stomach area). I currently wear it with a little vest top underneath.
  • Secondly the front neck is a little too high and I feel like I am constantly adjusting it so as not to choke myself. So, I will be scooping this out a little for comfort.
Bala wrap top



However, I am happy with the overall sew and I think I may also make the Banff Dolman Sweater from the same pattern pack. I may well have a go in some lighter weight fabric for a summer version.

Love Mrs Jones x







Comments

Popular Posts