Sewn: Burda 122 08/2013 Cape




Autumn is round the corner and I needed a sewing project, so I settled on a lovely cape from Burda with an integrated scarf. I have been avidly watching second series of The Handmaids Tale, and much as I would have loved a teal cape, I am no Mrs Waterford!!

The visual nightmare that is Burda pattern tracing



Fabric 
I chose a beautiful pale blue with dark spot, wool blend (50% wool, 50% acrylic) from Abakhan which is now out of stock, although there are other colourways available. It was only 4.99 a metre and I needed four metres, so I wasn't going to go for anything too pricey. The lining is cream polyester dress lining.

Always helpful to have some paws to weigh the fabric down!


Construction

I purposely have slowed this sewing project down: I wanted to sew it right and I don't find Burda instructions very easy to follow. It has been great for me to have some time to puzzle over sewing problems rather than work problems for a change.



The pattern is marked as intermediate. The main cape construction was fairly easy, although I did stumble over what was termed "attaching the collar" when it actually meant attaching the scarf. It was the lining that I had more issues with.


I have never lined a garment before so this was totally new territory for me, and although I was pleased with how it attached on the inside flaps, I could not get the back vents to line up and attach to the outer cape without distorting the drape, so I have left them hanging. 


The lining is attached at the arm slits so I think it will be fine in practice. I am a little irritated that my lining centre seam does not align with the centre seam of the scarf, but hey ho - its on the inside!
This is a truer reflection of the fabric colour

Alterations

I had to insert a little centre back pleat because there was too much fabric, but I think it looks ok. Also, I took some of the angularity off the back of the shoulders - it originally looked like it was built for an American football player. I'm much happier with how this looks now. I may even take a little more off (the advantage of leaving the lining loose is that I can still access the shoulders) although I want to make sure that there is room for me to wear a jumper underneath in the colder weather.


Size

There are only three marked sizes. Although I am UK size 12, I sewed the 34/36 (8-10) because my shoulders are quite narrow, and the fit is fine.

Atticus loves a good cape!

Really, much as I love this little bit of Indian Summer that we are having, I am longing for cooler Autumn days when I can wrap up in my new cape and go for a walk!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. Oh, I love your cape! the colour is quite lovely on you, and it looks beautifully constructed. I hope you get some cool days soon so that you can wear it often! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Is it wrong that I am willing for it to be colder?!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous cape!! Love the color and the design. You have such a pretty kitty too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts