Travel: Newcastle and Gateshead
Occasionally, my husband gets to visit places with his work that I also really want to go to, which is what happened when he went to the Historical Association conference in Gateshead in May this year. To make the most of the 6 1/2 hour trip, we tacked on some extra days in Lindisfarne (separate post).
Whilst my husband was working, I took myself off to Beamish Living History Museum for the day. What a fantastic day out!
I had done a bit of research and discovered that you could have your hair styled in the 1950s town, so my first destination was to Elizabeth's to get that booked in. I think it cost me about £10 and you can choose from 3 styles. There were a lot of pins and lacquer in it! The hairdresser told me that 1950s women would put a cover or pair of knickers over their hairstyle at night to hold it in place!
The 1950s town was my absolute favourite part, I think because there was a lot of furniture and household goods that were reminiscent of my Nan's house growing up in the 70s. You can just wander in and out of the houses and shops. There is a cinema, a printmakers, pharmacy, farm and colliery, and that doesn't even scratch the surface.
I took so many photos at Beamish and it was a fantastic experience. It covers a large area and there are buses that will take you to the various areas. I was grateful of this when my shoes had begun to rub my feet raw from the walking I had been doing. (I confess that I really wanted to look the part whilst I was there, so I wore my S3098 dress with some lovely loafers).

Despite spending about 5 hours there, I still hadn't seen it all and I was beginning to tire, so I am determined to revisit at some point. Tickets are an annual pass, and seem expensive at £35, but if you live nearby it would be well worth it. I was lucky to get mine free with a CSSC subscription that I have.
My second day on my own, I walked into Newcastle. It is very walkable but also very steep, and we were experiencing one of the first heat waves. For me, Grainger market was a great destination and I loved the M&S Penny Bazaar. I picked up some fruit in the market too - it is impossible in my town to get fruit and vegetables like this.
The ledges of the arts centre are home to one of the largest inland colonies of kittiwakes in the UK. If you go up to the viewing platform, you can see them quite closely.
We had three nights in Gateshead and three very good meals. The first was at Enfields, which is part of Gateshead College and is run by the students. Three courses for £18. It is open for lunches but only does dinner on a Thursday evening. Our second meal was probably my favourite, at Dood, a Persian restaurant. The decor is fantastic and it felt like we were dining in a tent. Finally, we ate at Gauchos which is part of a small chain. All exceptional and all very friendly.
After leaving Gateshead for Lindisfarne, we stopped at Alnwick Castle, which is where some part of Harry Potter were filmed. It is a huge castle and really well maintained. Entry is £22 but that does allow return during the year. The walk from the car park to the castle gate and then on to the castle itself is long.
We probably didn't spend as long here as we should have, but we had to ensure that we reached the causeway to Lindsifarne whilst the tide was out.
Love Mrs Jones x







Comments
Post a Comment
I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!