Life: December 2022

Knitting



I finished the knitted striped blanket kit from Wool Couture that I began in August, just in time for the start of December and the cold snap. It has been a real joy to make - to pick up something, knit a few rows and put it down again. I love the feel of the bamboo needles and the soft little click they make as I knit away.

I can’t see myself becoming a serious knitter but I do think that I will have another attempt now at the socks I started in 2019, but I'm definitely going to buy some circular needles rather than the double pointed needles I started them on.

Corfe Castle



We have a lot of family birthdays in December, and en route to visit my youngest for his, we stopped at Corfe Castle, near Wareham in Dorset. We were a little late in the day to tour the castle, but the village itself is very picturesque. The castle ruins tower above the pretty streets.




It was one of those strangely dark December days when we visited, and the locals were preparing for the Christmas light switch on, so there was an anticipatory buzz about the village. 

Next time, I am planning a long walk, a pub lunch and a proper look around the castle.

Christmas at Killerton

Much as we all associate Christmas with frost and snow, it is actually pretty uncommon to experience either in December in the South West. However, we did have a light snow dusting mid December along with a frosty cold snap. We travelled down to a National Trust property nearby to look at the Christmas decorations. 




It feels like only in recent years that the National Trust have been keeping the houses open for the decorations in winter, as they used to shut them away. Killerton has been decorated in a very unique way with trees full of dried flowers or origami butterflies, and little birds nests tucked in amongst the branches.



Of course, a visit to Killerton isn’t complete without seeing the Bear Hut. 

The chapel was a delight inside, filled with trees decorated by local schools and community groups. With carols playing in the background, it felt like a real festive treat.

Love Mrs Jones x






Comments

Popular Posts