Sewn: Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress Pattern Review



Anyone else totally inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee to sew themselves up a buffet dress? Well I was, and after seeing a few really lovely versions (A Stitching Odyssey and Chain Stitcher), I chose to sew the Myosotis dress by Deer and Doe. I have sewn a Deer and Doe pattern before (Sureau) but it never really became something that I wore much - it may have been my fabric choice, and it didn't fit me for very long.

I already had the brown and cream border print viscose which I think I bought from Poundametre. It's the perfect weight for a summer dress with a bit of a boho look.




Variations

I sewed up version A with the ruffled sleeves and tiered skirt, but omitted the collar and the pockets. Both were unintentional. I just couldn't figure out the collar at all, so I used bias binding to finish the neckline, which I actually think looks pretty neat. Then I made a horrendous error in attaching the pockets so I just ditched them (more haste, less speed)!

This was an “in progress” shot - before hemming



Problems

There are an awful lot of gathers on this dress and mine are not as even as I would have liked them. In hindsight, I may have had more success gathering on my overlocker, but I've not used that feature yet (any tips from anyone with experience?). 

The snaps were also a bit of a nightmare in that I completely misjudged lining them up correctly. I have actually just left it as it is for now because I wanted to wear the dress. However, I have read that it is possible to remove a snap with a screwdriver, although I'm a bit wary of the hole that will be left behind and how to patch it.

To be honest, I feel like I am over with trying to achieve the perfect garment and I really just need to embrace my sewing with its inherent imperfections.

Size

So, I have a small bust and hips but a larger waist which meant that my size would fit in the range 36-42! Reviews showed that the pattern comes up large and the position of the waistband is more high waist than waist, so I went with a size 38 and it seems fine. 

Conclusion: I love it, despite its imperfections and have already worn it several times this Summer. Just a note of warning though, it is pertinent to cover your modesty when descending castle steps in the breeze 😂.

Love Mrs Jones x 

Comments

  1. Lovely dress! What attention to detail. That last sentence made me laugh. With the amount of wind we have here at the moment, it is worth bearing in mind 🤣

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts