Print: Adventures in Cyanotype 2


So, after the success of the initial cyanotype printing, I decided that I would try printing onto fabric in order to make some tea towels. For someone that can sew, I have a shameful collection of what passes for tea towels.



Well, my creative juices got flowing, and I was very pleased to produce this Cut Now tea towel, achieved by sewing some large basting stitches in embroidery thread before painting the chemicals on, and placing a pair of scissors on the stitches. Once the print has been in the sun for the required amount of time (nearly an hour in my case), and then washed, I unpicked the stitches.

Not every attempt is successful!


Buoyed up by my success, I went for a Fruit Ninja style with a knife and some orange slices. However, this did not go so well (pride comes before a fall) and I binned the result. I think it is because I tried to make a bit of an action shot with the knife, moving it every few minutes, but the negative wasn't strong enough.



My final attempt was another floral arrangement with just some cut leaves and herbs from my garden. And I was happy with this. So happy, in fact, that I framed it instead of turning it into a tea towel, and it is now in my newly decorated cloakroom.


My adventures with cyanotype are not over though, I have bold plans to sun print a skirt. I have cut out the fabric (it's just the leftover calico), but I can't quite make my mind up whether it would be better to print before constructing the garment or after - any thoughts?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts