Garden: Spring Update


Lockdown accelerated a move to an increase in growing your own, and for us this was no exception. Despite awaiting planning permission to change the use of some land behind our garden and extend our garden, we ploughed ahead with a huge new vegetable bed (inside our original space). I have had a roughly 1m square raised vegetable bed for a number of years now, but I now have an additional 2.4 x 1.2m raised bed.



In March, I grew a lot of vegetables from seed because I simply wasn’t able to go and purchase my usual plug plants. I am pretty astonished by how successful these have been. If anything, I have realised that vegetables take up way more space than I could have predicted and my two beds are bursting at the seams.


I have been lucky enough to harvest strawberries (variety unknown as I replanted my existing ones), blueberries (container grown), peas (Rondo), cabbage (Endeavour), chard (Bright Lights), lettuce (mixed varieties), courgette (Di Nizza), as well as basil, chives, coriander, mint and tarragon. I have a heap more just waiting in the wings too. 


The satisfaction of growing your own in addition to the improvement in taste is second to none. I love picking my own berries for breakfast, snipping some lettuce for lunch and podding peas for dinner, it just never gets old. I am currently trying to plan how to extend the season through into winter. 

Have you been growing your own this year?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts