Sewn: New Look 6000



The whole sewing community seems to have made this dress (New Look 6000)! I love the retro look to it and I’m hoping to sew up more than one view. My fabric choice was a viscose jacquard in navy and black which has a little give in it. In hindsight, it is a little too stiff for this dress and might have been better sewn in a heavy jersey. Buttons are from my stash (or rather my Mum's stash).




I have a large tummy so although I am a RTW size 12, I chose to sew the size 14. Across the stomach, this was a good shout but was way too large across the bust, and the waist didn’t actually sit on my waist either. When you cut out the front, I could literally see no way to modify it between sizes, it is a really strange pattern piece.



Adjustments

I took in the bust at the sides and also took some length out at the shoulders so at least it sits better now. Weirdly, making these adjustments didn’t really impact the sleeve setting too much.



The back collar was migrating upwards so I tacked the points down so it is flush with the dress. The hook and eye also don't always seem to stay done up.




I'm not sure if it was my inaccurate cutting but the cuffs didn't really seem long enough to fit the sleeve ends so have a bit of a gap. I may have to re-visit this after a few wears if it annoys me.

So far, I have worn this twice: once in the office (yes it was a while ago) and once at home working (I like to wear work clothes when I'm working - it helps to separate work and home life for me). I've been really comfortable wearing it which I am a little surprised at because I thought it may be a bit itchy. I am not sure that I will get all that much more wear out of it before it becomes too warm.

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts