Sewn: Coppelia Wrap



I do love a ballet style wrap top. I once had one from Next which I loved and wore to death - it was just perfect for that "nice enough for a dress but still need something on my shoulders" weather. I debated for a long time between the Coppelia and the Elmira (Colette), but as I couldn't find the Elmira in a paper pattern, I plumped for Coppelia. 

Couldn't resist actually making the little instruction pamphlet up!

Fabric
I chose the most gorgeous lightweight green viscose with spandex from My Fabrics. It looks beautiful, washes well, drapes nicely but is the biggest pain in the arse to sew! I don't have an overlocker but found this really handy guide to sewing knits without. I even used my walking foot and a ballpoint needle, but the whole sew felt like a bit of a wrestle.


Size
I am a UK size 12, but went for the XS as all the reviews I have read say to size down. It's fine, but as a wrap cardigan, rather than a wrap top, it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a little bigger.



Construction
This pattern is marked a Rookie level. I think if I had less sewing experience, this would put me off for life! It wasn't difficult, but some parts were just really fiddly - the cuffs for example. I also feel that the waist tie would have been better attached to the outside first with it being finished stitch in the ditch side. I now have a very visible top stitched zigzag on my waist - the conundrum between needing the stitches to stretch and wanting to make it neat (practicality won)!

Disappointingly I have a few puckers but not too many considering the trickiness of this fabric. I considered ripping them out and resewing but to be honest, you don't see them too much when it's on.

My other bugbear is the waist ties which are constructed from three pieces of fabric, but the seam from one of them hits centrally when you tie it, so I'm sure with a little adjustment this could be dealt with next time.



Overall
So, my overall conclusion is that I love this top, and now have a burning desire to make one in fire engine red and a practical navy, and I would have a go at the wrap top version too. However, I think I may hold off until I purchase an overlocker...except I think I will really need another wrap top before I save up enough for an overlocker!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. What a super lovely top!! The fabric sounds like a dream to wear and this is a wonderful shade of green that is very becoming on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa, I really love the colour too.

      Delete
  2. how lovely to be able to dress make. I really like this and take my hat off to you. Silky fabric. cut on the bias, tyings. All make me come out in a cold sweat. And it looks great. I have an over locker but it hasn't even been out of the box. It looks very scary. I think I bit off more than I could chew with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, an overlocker looks really scary, but I still covet one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts