Books: May and June 2018

So, I've not done too well on the reading front over the last couple of months, which is really unlike me.



Hag-seed: The Tempest Retold by Margaret Atwood
I absolutely love Margaret Atwood, but unfortunately I did not love Hagseed. This is one of a series of Shakespeare retold books published last year, and this particular one is The Tempest. I'm not too familiar with the play. A rejected theatre director comes out of hiding after twelve years to take up a teaching position in a correctional facility and in so doing seek revenge on those that had previously done him wrong.

Talking of Margaret Atwood, have you been watching The Handmaids Tale on Channel 4?  

Barkskins by Annie Proulx
This mammoth read (or rather listen for me) was quite brilliant, and follows the story of two Frenchmen, Sel and Duquet as they embark on a new life in America in logging. The story follows them and their descendants right through to the present day, and explores many sides of the timber industry. My only criticism is that there are quite a lot of characters to keep track of. However, this is an author that I want to explore further.

The Faithful Couple by A D Miller
A bit of a quirky tale about two young guys that bond over an incident in Yosemite in the early nineties, and their ensuing friendship. The incident is the malignant undercurrent that keeps them together and impacts their lives as they grow older and have children of their own.

So, what are your summer reading plans?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts