Food: Planning To Waste Less


I usually love the couple of weeks after Christmas where the fridge and cupboards still have plenty of more unusual or treat foods and interesting food combinations come into play. However, Covid hit our house on Boxing Day, and the food plans weren’t realised. In my bid to try and reduce waste, this is what I did:


1. Made a list of items that needed to be eaten.
2. Prepped my weekly meal plan around that.


To be eaten: What I made
Cauliflower (fresh): turned into cauliflower cheese with sausages

Stilton (from cheese board) : eaten with spinach in a salad. I also made a caramelised onion and stilton bread which was so raw in the middle that it was unsalvageable and ultimately binned (you can't win them all)!!

Cream cheese (from smoked salmon/cream cheese), Sun dried tomatoes (Mezze board) and Spinach (fresh) : Tuscan chicken pasta recipe

Olives (Mezze board) : added to salads, still have some left

Chestnuts : sadly binned as we’re well past 7 days open when I went to use them.

Green peppers : Good Housekeeping pork in wine and coriander (sorry, I can't find a link and my recipe book was a wedding present).

Mushrooms and Leeks (both fresh) : salmon with leeks and mushrooms in a creamy mustard sauce

Brioche buns : egg and bacon rolls

Hit me with your food waste tips and suggestions. 

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts