Books: January and February 2020



Howard’s End is on the Landing by Susan Hill
My mother in law was a reader just like me, but when we cleared her flat to move her into a nursing home, there were very few books that I hadn’t already read. This though was an absolute gem. I love Susan Hill, and this is really just a rambling about books for book lovers. She begins by trying to find something to read and decides that she is only going to read from her own shelves for a year.

It really made me want to spend some time exploring my own bookshelves (although I have plenty in my to-read pile, yet alone ones I have already read)! Definitely one for a bibliophile.


The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living by Mark Boyle
Mark Boyle decides to live for a year without money (both earning and spending) and charts his journey living in a caravan on a farm without money. During this time he discovers that if you give freely, others will often give freely in return.

It’s an interesting read especially in how he prepares for his year. However, some of his self-imposed rules, especially around accepting lifts from people are ridiculous (he does acknowledge this). I would have liked to hear more of the everyday, run of the mill things he did without money. I think I would class this as part journal and part handbook.

The Outrun: A Memoir by Amy Liptrot
Amy is a journalist with an alcohol problem. She reluctantly returns to her home in Orkney (after living in London) in a bid to recover and become sober for the last time.  She is refreshingly honest and has a great writing style.

This is a good “quit-lit” book. It touches on all the "quiet" things that helped her recover - things like wild swimming or bird watching. 

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts