Books: March and April 2018



The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel
It would be fair to describe this book as a little bizarre, given the sheer number of incidences of chimpanzees and grieving men walking backwards! It is actually three interconnected stories through the ages. I did enjoy this offbeat novel, but I don't think it touches his superlative A Life of Pi.

The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver
Another cracking read which is set in the near future, after a major economic crisis. I love their attempts at frugality. Very clever, but contains quite a lot of characters which does become quite confusing. 

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet
This fictional story reads like non-fiction and is about Roddy Macrae murdering three people in a remote crofting community in Scotland in the 19th century. The story contains Roddy's account, the opinion of a prominent (real-life) criminologist of the time and the trial. It is fascinating comparing the factual evidence from the trial to Roddy's own account. A really good read.

Wild Raspberries by Connie Chappell
A terrible book about two women grieving over the same man. Why do I never learn my lesson with free e-books - they are generally free for a reason! I know I was drawn to it because the protagonist makes quilts, but it's not worth reading. 

This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay
This non-fiction account of the life of a doctor received some controversial reviews from readers who thought he was sneering at his patients. Although there are some funny moments I didn't feel that these were always at the expense of his patients. It is a very refreshing read with some truly harrowing passages. 

Upstairs at the Party by Linda Grant
This was a fantastic find as an audiobook, and recounts the colourful tale of Adele and her obsession with a couple named Evie-Stevie at university in the seventies and how a tragic incident and their beliefs around it mould their future. 

Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh
What a dark little tale this is (the macabre tone reminded me of Harriet Said by Beryl Bainbridge)! Fantastic depiction of small town Eileen, desperate for some attention, who is seduced into a monstrous ploy to seek revenge on the family of a juvenile delinquent by the prison psychiatrist, Rebecca.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. I enjoy hearing what you have read each month, it often inspires me to add books on my to never ending to read list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts