The Scent of Lavender

My garden is definitely past its best now, so I have been out tidying it a little this morning. One of the things I tidied was my lavenders. I have three in my garden: one old and very bedraggled whitish pink lavender, one vigorous and bushy blue one that has produced lots of flowers considering that it was only planted in spring this year and the last is a tiny compact one which hasn't flowered at all this year. 

I used my kitchen scissors to trim the bushes, as I wanted a nice clean cut in the new growth - you shouldn't cut into the old wood. 
I have tied the bunch and will put it in the airing cupboard to dry for a couple of weeks. Hopefully during that time, the airing cupboard will be beautifully scented, and then I will decide what to do with it. Here are some suggestions for using dried lavender:
  • Tie the loose buds in muslin and hang it over a bath tap to have a nice relaxing bath.
  • Add a couple of flowered stalks to a jar of sugar for lavender sugar.
  • Sew some little bags and add the lavender flowers, or if you can't sew, add some to an organza bag and tuck in your drawer or hang in your wardrobe.
Feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments.

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts