Christmas is Coming...Mince Pies



This blog is officially a year old, and at this time last year we were in the process of moving (we moved on 22 December) and didn't manage to do many of the Christmas traditions that we usually would, so this year I am making up for it!

So, even though it is more than a month until Christmas, I made mince pies using my own homemade mincemeat (a la Nigella - the recipe was Hettie's Suet Free Mincemeat - but even though I would like to think of myself of a Domestic Goddess, I am really a Domestic Slut!). As usual I had to adapt the recipe slightly, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops and also because of an impatience to get started. So I omitted the lemon juice and blanched almond and substituted sherry for the brandy. It produced a Christmas scented, sticky and not too sweet mincemeat.

Ingredients
250g Demerara sugar
250ml Medium dry cider
1 kg Cooking apples, chopped
1/2 tsp Mixed spice
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
250g Currants
250g Raisins
75g Glace cherries, chopped
75g Blanched almonds, finely chopped
Rind and juice of 1/2 Lemon
90ml Brandy

1. Dissolve the sugar in the cider in a large pan.

2. Add the chopped apples to the pan, then all the other ingredients except for the Brandy.

3. Simmer for approx 30 minutes until pulpy.

4. Take off the heat and stir in the brandy.

5. Spoon into warm, sterilised jars.

If you still feel in a Christmas mood after reading this, look back to my entry last year when I made a Gingerbread House

Comments

  1. Nice too see you getting in the christmas mood already! LOVE the ginger bread house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts