Christmas is Coming...Mince Pies
So, even though it is more than a month until Christmas, I made mince pies using my own homemade mincemeat (a la Nigella - the recipe was Hettie's Suet Free Mincemeat - but even though I would like to think of myself of a Domestic Goddess, I am really a Domestic Slut!). As usual I had to adapt the recipe slightly, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops and also because of an impatience to get started. So I omitted the lemon juice and blanched almond and substituted sherry for the brandy. It produced a Christmas scented, sticky and not too sweet mincemeat.
250g Demerara sugar
250ml Medium dry cider
1 kg Cooking apples, chopped
1/2 tsp Mixed spice
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
75g Glace cherries, chopped
75g Blanched almonds, finely chopped
Rind and juice of 1/2 Lemon
1. Dissolve the sugar in the cider in a large pan.
2. Add the chopped apples to the pan, then all the other ingredients except for the Brandy.
3. Simmer for approx 30 minutes until pulpy.
4. Take off the heat and stir in the brandy.
5. Spoon into warm, sterilised jars.
If you still feel in a Christmas mood after reading this, look back to my entry last year when I made a Gingerbread House.