Garden: March 2023

The weather has been a real mix this month, with a cold snowy spell at the start, and a fair bit of rain too. But we have also had a couple of days where, if you pick your moment carefully, you can sit in the sun for half an hour and soak it all in.

The buds on the purple sprouting broccoli
Purple Sprouting Broccoli that should be good to harvest soon

In my vegetable beds this year, I am embracing the Huw Richards approach in his Veg in One Bed book. My raised beds aren't the same dimensions and there are some things (like potatoes) that I prefer to grow in bags. However, I really like his method of planning the bed so that there is something growing in each season and nothing is really competing with each other.

Close up of some kale
Kale growing slowly in the shadier bed

In my shadier bed (not in an evil part of society way), I have kale and purple sprouting broccoli that have overwintered and will be ready to harvest shortly. There are also some leeks growing in there, but they look quite weak and weedy and I don't think they are going to come to much - still a lot to learn!

Vegetable raised beds

In the right hand bed I have sown some radish, spring onion and lettuce. I have celery that is weirdly still growing from last year and there are some globe artichokes at the back. I am experimenting with this protective tunnel, because large Maine Coon cats and tiny seedlings haven't mixed well this last couple of years. My only concern is that the tunnel looks quite dark and may inhibit growth as much as a giant paw!

Broad bean plants grown in toilet rolls
Broad bean plants started off inside, hardening off

This week, I have been hardening off my broad bean plants which I started outside and I hope to get the first set planted this week.

In the small square bed, I have put some fruit bushes this year. I already had a raspberry, gooseberry and blueberry, but I managed to pick up some bargain raspberry and redcurrant plants early in the month at £1 each. If they all fruit, that will be amazing.

Love
Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts