Sewn: Burda 7/2020 #111 7/8 Trousers


Front image of trousers reflected in mirror


These are my first real trousers (not counting the drawstring pyjamas that I made previously), and let me tell you, I was very nervous about the fit. Mainly due to the fact that my waist is quite large and I knew that I would have to make some adjustments. I cannot stand trousers that are too tight - you feel like you can't breathe, yet alone eat!!

burda pattern drawing

The pattern is no. 111A from Burda 7/2020 which are described as 7/8 length trousers, they have a flat front and side seam.

Burda model image of trousers



I traced the pattern at a size 42 in order for the waist to be right, and the muslin I made was fine. However, they were a bit looser using my actual fabric, which has a small amount of stretch in it. The fit was also far too big down the hips and legs, and the crotch was too low. The correction of the leg width was reasonably easy to do.


sewn trousers as viewed from above, seated position


However the crotch adjustment, that was quite some feat to rectify, and I’m still thinking about adjusting the crotch rise a little. To do this, I came across this fabulous crotch adjustment tutorial by Sewing Garden. It did take a couple of days musing on it before I really understood what I had to do. Essentially the adjustments are made on the inner leg (where it meets the crotch before the crotch is re-sewn). I may also scoop a little out of the front. 

Sewn trousers modelled in front of grey wall



When all is said and done though, they are hugely comfortable, and the fabric is just stunning with the pale flowers on a bottle green background. 


sewn trousers modelled on patio, garden in background

Do you have any tips for trouser fitting issues that you would like to share?

I have already worn these multiple times and I think I do need to move the side zip in a little, but I'll think about it.

Bring on Autumn!!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts