Bake: French Apple Tart

I have had and loved this French Apple Tart recipe since I was a child - it is so old that it is written on my Victoria Plum recipe paper and has imperial measurements! So, I have no idea on the source of the recipe but I can guarantee that it is delicious and will feed four comfortably. I usually use an 8 inch flan dish but have managed to stretch it to a 10 inch dish this time.


Ingredients
Pastry
5 oz Plain flour
Salt (pinch)
2 1/2 oz butter
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp ground almonds
1 egg yolk
Cold water

Filling
3 large cooking apples, peeled, chopped and cooked to a purée
2 cooking apples
2 oz sugar
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp apricot jam
2 tsp water
1 tsp lemon juice



Method
1. Put flour and salt into food processor. Add butter and blitz to breadcrumb consistency.

2. Add sugar and ground almonds and whizz again.

3. Add egg yolk and a little cold water and whizz until all combined.

4. Wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

5. Oven at 200C. I usually purée the apples at this point. Add 2 oz sugar and the lemon zest to the purée.

6. Roll out pastry and line 8 inch flan dish.

7. Add the apple purée.

8. Peel and thinly slice the other two apples and arrange on top of the purée.

9. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

10. Once baked, put jam, water and lemon in a pan and heat until syrupy. Brush over the flan. I had no apricot jam, do used strawberry (hence the blush on my apples)!

Serve with creme fraiche - delicious!

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts