Books: May & June 2017 Reads




The Rescue by Anita Shreve
This was such an entertaining listen for me. A paramedic is called to the scene of an accident involving a woman driving under the influence, and falls in love. However, her alcohol dependency has a huge impact on their fate together, and also that of their daughter. I will definitely be checking out more of Anita Shreve's books.

Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain by Barney Norris
This is one of those stories where there are five pretty ordinary characters and how the same event impacts on their lives. It was an interesting read but some of the ways that the characters crossed paths became a little too unbelievable.

The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota
This has been on my "To Read" pile for a while but I caught the end of a program on Radio 4 about it that prompted me to start reading it. It highlights the struggles of a number of Indian immigrants (legal and illegal) in their determination to survive and thrive in the UK for the sake of their families back home. There are some really gruelling parts to this novel but without a doubt it is an absolutely brilliant read.

Not Quite Nice by Celia Imrie
This is the kind of book which I would never buy for myself (it was a gift) but usually really enjoy and this is no exception. I picked it up after a day in hospital and read it pretty much in one sitting. A very light but engaging read about an older woman moving to Nice to escape her vile daughter, and her capers with the other ex pats there.

Love Mrs Jones X

Comments

Popular Posts