Bake: Lemon and Ginger Scones

I made some delicious scones with a twist this weekend: lemon and ginger. This was a recipe from one of the Waitrose Food magazines from May 2014 (link here). I also made my own stem ginger from this recipe by Every Nook and Cranny, as I was too lazy to go and buy some (yes, it is that easy)!! For this recipe, I used one piece of root ginger of the size you would ordinarily buy in a supermarket. 


I made them to take over to my Mum's for her birthday. They were really moist with hot bursts of ginger.

Recipe 
225g self raising flour (although I added a bit more at the kneading stage)
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
55g butter
Lemon, zest and 1 tbsp of the juice
2 tbsp chopped stem ginger
125ml milk

Method
1. Turn the oven on at 200C. Sprinkle an oven sheet with flour.
2. Mix flour, sugar and salt together. Rub in the butter to make a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Add the lemon zest and make a well.
4. Add the ginger and lemon juice to the milk and pour into the well.
5. Bring the mixture together first with a knife and then knead lightly by hand.
6. Roll out lightly and cut out six rounds and place on the baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

I debated between topping with lemon curd or jam, but opted for the latter, with the obligatory clotted cream, of course!!

Thank you for the recipe Waitrose. I can't believe this is the first time I have made them.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts