Two weeks have gone by since my eldest's birthday, and I am only now getting round to sharing his Oreo cake with you! September is going at a crazy pace! After many suggestions from friends on Facebook on what I might base the Oreo cake on, I decided on making an old favourite, a chocolate sponge, with an Oreo cream centre.
|Can you see where one of my boys has swiped a bit of buttercream?!|
Oreo Sponge Cake
175g caster sugar
145g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
1 packet of Oreos
Buttercream (ready made or make yourself according to the recipe on the icing sugar packet).
1. Preheat the oven to 190C and grease and base line two 18cm round sandwich tins.
2. Beat the margarine and sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, beating well after each one.
4. Sieve and fold in the flour and cocoa powder, a little at a time.
5. Spoon into your two tins and bake for 20 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. While this is cooling, you can make up the buttercream and prepare the Oreos by crushing them gently in a bowl with the heel of a rolling pin or similar. You want a mix of crumbs and larger chunks. I used half a box of snack Oreos for this - you may want to use some of the others for decoration. Mix the Oreos into the buttercream.
7. Spread a thick layer of chocolate spread onto one of the sponges.
8. Spread the buttercream/Oreo mix on the other sponge and sandwich together.
9. Complete with candles, more Oreos and an iced message.
I did toy with the idea of putting another layer of buttercream on the top, but even though I have a thoroughly sweet tooth, I thought it might be a bit overkill!! Obviously, the birthday boy got the whole Oreo on top!
Love Mrs Jones x