Glassblowing at Shakespeare Glass


Had a long overdue and much anticipated Glass Blowing session at Shakespeare Glass in Langport this week. There were four students and we each could make two items - a vessel and a dish.

It was more difficult than I would have possibly imagined, and I had a bit of a meltdown making the first object as I found it so difficult to keep the glass turning whilst doing other things, such as blowing, using the marber table, for example. When you sew, if you don't understand something, you can stop and think about it and then carry on, but with glass, it has to be constantly moving so you can't stop and think.


Needless to say, I had a lot of help making my objects! My first object dropped into a bucket of water and was ruined, but my second looks okay, even though it should look like a conventional dish!


I am not sure what I will use it for - buttons or pins?

Details of the course:
Evening Glass Blowing Course (currently on Wednesday evenings) in Langport, Somerset

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

  1. That dish looks wonderful - it is the similar shape to my Carousel Bowl
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - have you ever tried it?

      Delete
    2. No never, didn't even know there was glass blowing place near here. Was it flooded at Langport?

      Delete
    3. The main road via Thornfalcon is okay but there are still sandbags out at Langport.

      Delete
  2. I think it's very stylish retro whether it's what you intended or not. Glass blowing seems to require a totally different type of co-ordination to anything else, so I think you did very well. Your dish reminds me of one my parents gave someone for a 21st birthday present in the early 60's. I remember it was very expensive and came from Sweden, which probably doubled the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it does have a kind of organic look to it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts