Sticky Honey Cake

Do you know that feeling when you need to make a cake and it has to be different to anything you have ever made? You search through all the recipe books that you own, trying to find THE ONE! Well, I hit on the Honey Cake in my ancient copy {a wedding present - 18 years old} of Good Housekeeping New Step by Step Cook Book - here is the up to date version: Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cookbook: Over 650 Easy-To-Follow Techniques (Ghk)


This cake tastes like a part gingerbread, part fruit cake with an underlying taste that I associate with all those lovely German baked goods you can get at Christmas. 

Recipe
225ml runny honey
75g butter
330g plain flour
5ml ground mixed spice
5ml bicarbonate of soda
100g glace cherries
3 eggs beaten
45ml milk
Plus more honey to pour over it when cooked!

Method
1. Grease and line a deep square 20cm tin - I used a slightly larger round one!

2. Pour the honey annd butter in a pan and melt.

3. In a separate bowl, sift the flour a pinch of salt , the spice and bicarb in. Add the cherries and mix.

4. Take the pan off the heat and stir the beaten eggs with the milk. Then add the dry ingredients to the pan, stirring well to incorporate everything. Pour into your prepared tin.

5. Cook at 170C for 45 minutes. Test by inserting a skewer {I use a carving fork}- if it comes out clear it is cooked. The printed recipe says to cook for 1 1/4 hours! I have a fan oven, so this might be why it took less time for me.

6. When cooked, leave it in the tin, prick all over with your skewer and pour some more honey over the top of the cake. I had run out so used golden syrup, and brushed it over the top.

You will notice that my cake looks a little rustic on the top, but I can assure you that it tastes lovely, although there isn't an overwhelming honey taste. 


This recipe has been adapted from the original Good Housekeeping recipe.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts