Sewn: Transform a Coat with Bias Binding

I have been working on this little project for a couple of weeks: turning a sad forgotten coat into something I am not embarrassed to wear!
Before and after

Okay, I know it needed ironing! I spent a few pounds in my local fabric store buying 3 metres of bias binding and 9 buttons because as Mr Jones rightly pointed out that I might lose one. At this point I was still under the illusion that this will be a bit of simple machine sewing. What I didn't realise that my poor little machine was never going to get through all those layers, so I did it all by hand.

I love the buttons that I found, and I was lucky to get the size right as I didn't measure the existing ones:
I am sure that slip stitch should have been used in sewing the bias binding, but I just can't get the hang of it, so I used an as neat as possible overstitch. It is one of those never ending jobs and once you think you have got somewhere, you realise that you have to turn it over and do the other side!
Ta dah!
Love Mrs Jones x

PS> Please forgive the strange pose in this photo - my 11 year old was taking a long time in taking this, bless him.


  1. Ooh looks smart! Amazing how it has transformed the whole coat! :)

  2. Wow it really does make the coat look completly different.

    Donna x

  3. Thanks for your lovely comments.

  4. It is lovely! It makes it look like a different coat!

  5. What an amazing difference a little bias tape can make:)
    You are so clever!

  6. What a difference! Just that little change updated the coat. Great job!

  7. Very sophisticated!

    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

  8. Hi, I've conme over from Lilys Quilts. I love what you've done with your coat, it looks like a whole new lease of life.


Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts