Friday, 15 March 2013

Sewn: Cynthia Rowley 2406 - red corsage dress

After an afternoon of sewing and ironing, this is what I achieved:
Yes, a ridiculous photo of me posing as a flamingo {which is what you get when you ask an 11 year old to take a photo}! An almost completed dress.

Pattern used: The pattern I used was dress D from pattern 2406, Cynthia Rowley. 

Sizing: I wasn't exactly sure which measurement to use as it was in US dress sizes. I went for a US 8 hoping it was a UK 10, but could have got away with a US 6 I think. {I am a UK 8-10 size}.

Fabric used: I used a spotted cotton poplin.

Adaptions: I added some top stitching where there was none, especially down the back and round the arm holes. This top stitching would also have looked good in a contrasting colour.

Problems: By the time I got to the shoulder straps, I just couldn't understand how to do it, so although they are attached okay, the inside isn't so neat as it should be.


I am not used to following patterns and made an error right at the beginning by attaching the fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the top of the dress. Luckily, I managed to rip the interfacing off and started again!

I made the sash belt, as it just becomes a shift dress otherwise, and I like both ways of wearing it which are suggested on the pattern, although I took a good 20cm off the length of the sash because it looked enormous.
Once I have purchased a hook and eye for the back, I will show you it.

Love Mrs Jones x

3 comments:

  1. The dress looks lovely. I love the fabric and recognise it........I have just made and worn the dress to my son's wedding last weekend in exactly the same fabric! It washes beautifully too!
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that dress on your blog! I am glad it washes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks one very complicated pattern and you did a great job it looks gorgeous on you. dee x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!