Eco: Plastic Free July 2021



I know that we shouldn’t need a dedicated month to make changes to show how environmentally aware we are, but Plastic Free July is a good reminder. I am not suggesting that we make this another to stick to beat ourselves with, but I do aspire to a more eco friendly life.

Here are some of the things I have done so far this July:

1. Switched to a plastic free deodorant: I usually buy Mitchum deodorant but it ran out just when July started so on the recommendation of my sister, I have purchased a deodorant from Wild which is in a reusable metal case. The deodorant itself is in a cardboard container. I chose Sandalwood and Patchouli scent and although I have only used it for a few weeks, I have really put it through its paces with a few strenuous walks and no resulting sweating or bad odours.

I had previously tried a packaging free deodorant from Lush but the Wild one is far superior.

2. Fruit and vegetables from the greengrocers: it isn’t a complete swap from the supermarket but I did try to buy as much fruit and vegetables from my local greengrocer in paper bags as I could. I didn’t buy anything that I could get plastic free from the supermarket as I do think the greengrocer is more expensive. So this week, I bought tomatoes, grapes, apples, potatoes and swede without plastic from the greengrocer. I managed to get peppers, broccoli and onions without plastic from the supermarket. I have been supplementing my purchases with produce fresh from the garden: rocket, new potatoes, strawberries, blueberries and gooseberries. The paper bags can be re-used or sometimes I use them as a liner in my food caddy.

3. Greetings cards: I bought a bundle of 10 cards unwrapped from a local crafter and for much less than they would have cost individually- win-win!

4. Refill shower gel: I rediscovered my waste free shop and took a clean empty bottle to refill with shower gel. This is the second time I have done this,and whilst the smell is wonderful, at over £5 for a refill it isn’t something that is really sustainable for me, I am happy to make the swap to soap bars, but my family are not.

Have you made any plastic free changes this month?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts