Sewn: Simple T-Shirt (Great British Sewing Bee)


Not only am I in need of some basic wardrobe items, but I'm also trying to use up my fabric stash. I searched for a free t-shirt pattern that would fit the limited knit fabric that I had leftover from the Coppelia Wrap and settled upon the Simple T-Shirt from the GBSB Sew Your Own Wardrobe. 

Can't get the hang of camera timers - my arms look like Mr Benn!

Modifications and Size
The pattern is only two pieces but I still made some modifications. The first was that I cut two pieces for the back due to my limitations on the fabric (and simply sewed a seam down the back). The second was an adjustment to the neckline which I re-drafted to be a much closer fit because many pattern reviewers have said it is too loose. I also sized down to a 10 because the pattern called for woven whereas I was sewing with knit. Even now, it is a generous fit, but I'm happy with that.



The t-shirt is supposed to be finished with bias binding, and leaves you to decide whether to have this as visible or hidden. Well, I did neither. Instead, I attached a neckband, stretching it out a little to pull it in place, and I finished the sleeves and hem by turning over and sewing with a twin needle stitch. It's my first time using a twin needle and I like it! 



Conclusions
The neckline is still quite loose. Let's put it this way, if I wear it to yoga, I would definitely be revealing all in the Downward Dog! However, I like the shaped bottom hem and am happy to have another gorgeous green item in my wardrobe. I'm still a real newbie when it comes to sewing with knits with a basic sewing machine and the inside looks way more horrific than any of my other sews (it's certainly not Instagram-pretty).

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts