Sewn: Adrift Dress

What better way to start the summer than with a newly sewn summer dress! This is the Adrift dress pattern from Papercut Patterns. It's feels fun and a bit flirty with the wrap skirt, but it's also very comfortable. 





Fabric

I have lost the label for what type of fabric this is (possibly viscose), but it came from My Fabrics (although I can't see it in stock any longer). I also purchased some red cord and metal cord ends from Minerva Crafts.



Size

I cut the Small size. The fit is relaxed and seems absolutely fine. I must also be the only sewist who blogs that hasn't found the dress too short (but I am only 5"2). It finishes just above the knee on me.



Construction

Even though this started as a slow sew, I seem to have made plenty of sewing errors along the way! I understitched the neckline (thank you so much to Lisa's Carolina really helpful comment on my last post). However, the instructions then called for the facing to be topstitched, which I did but am now not convinced it really needed it.



The only other place that I came a little unstuck was adding the casing for the drawstring. With so many slippery layers I didn't catch all the fabric and had to correct it three times. And then top stitching the upper casing in place resulted in a few puckers. However, with the drawstring in place and pulled, I think it is impossible to see these. I may go back and correct it at some point, but knowing me, I probably won't.

The thing I was dreading most was attaching the ruffle to the skirt and sleeves and hemming them, but to be honest, even with my basic sewing machine, it was really quite easy. 




Overall

I love it! I can totally see me wearing this a lot this summer and even with the wrap skirt, it is secure enough to not be too revealing! The other bonus is that when the fabric is washed it barely requires ironing - a true wash and go dress!

Love Mrs Jones x


Comments

Popular Posts