Life: May 2019

Don't even ask about April - with the Go Live on a major project at work it was hectic and super stressful to say the least. 


Reunion
So when my uni friends planned a reunion for the first May bank holiday, I jumped at the chance. And so we met up in a thatched Air Bnb cottage in Long Compton, Cotswolds for the weekend. Beautiful cottage from the outside, but a bit cold and musty on the inside (it smelled like an old village hall). It had been seven years since I last met up with them but within two minutes we were exactly the same as we always had been. It was a great weekend filled with wine, board games and laughter, and we squeezed in a great walk to the Rollright Stones too, as well as an hour in an escape room in Banbury.


Dressmaking
Feeling good about my Coppelia wrap, I have forged ahead with the Adrift dress pattern. I am trying to keep this a slow-sew (think this is the year of the slow sew for me) and take my time to finish things properly. I'm not too far ahead, have just finished the neck facing, but I can't remember what understitching means and it isn't explained brilliantly in the pattern 😕. 

I'm itching to keep the sewing going though, and am lusting after some fabric I saw online and hoping it hasn't all sold out.



Relaxing
I spent the most restful day this week down at Beer, Devon with my Mum hiring out a beach hut for the day. This has been on my mental bucket list since 2014 when my husband took me down to Beer after my months of illness and I discovered that you could rent a hut for a day (and for just £10). All the beach cafes have their own.

They are very basic, but contain two deckchairs, a table and a parasol - what more could you want? Beer is a lovely, peaceful fishing village and we were lucky that it was such lovely weather and so quiet. 

We sat and read, then ate crab salad on the beach.



Garden
My vegetable box is now really filling up with lush lettuce and pak choi. My leeks that looked a bit weedy all winter are now ready for picking. I do seem to have a bit of an issue with slugs this year though, despite carpeting the soil with wool pellets which are a natural way of deterring slugs. I've now gone for a handful of crushed egg shells as well.

What are you up to this month?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. Sounds like you've had some lovely time away and hope you were able to leave the stressors of work behind for a little bit. My brain goes on vacation at times with certain steps of sewing..... and I'm sure there are lots of understitching tutorials online..... but in a nutshell.... after sewing on the neck facing at the required seam allowance, I trim and snip the curves, then press the seam allowance towards the neck facing and 'understitch'..... stitch with a mere 1/8" seam allowance on the neck facing that sort of sandwiches all the seam allowances and neck facing together on the inside of the garment. This allows the neck facing to stay on the inside of the garment when worn. Anyway..... good luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts