Books: January and February 2019


Spring feels as though it is almost here - hard to imagine this picture was only taken a few weeks ago! I had hoped to have had more time for reading over the past couple of months but the four I have managed to finish is about average.

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon's Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table by Stephen Westaby
This is a wonderful book of tales from the renowned heart surgeon, Stephen Westaby. Although he is full of confidence, unlike most surgeons he doesn't seem to be quite so arrogant (possibly because he was from a working class Northern background), so they are naturally more appealing. I really loved some of the details of his cases such as the pulseless man - when you are fitted with an artificial heart that doesn't have a pulse, how do medics know if you are alive if you have an accident? 

A great read, but not for the faint hearted!

In One Person by John Irving
I used to be a massive fan of John Irving: I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany, it's one of my favourite books. So, I am disappointed that this was not a great read, and at 450 pages it wasn't a quick read either. It centres on Billy who is bisexual and how his first crush on the town librarian impacts the rest of his life. It wasn't terrible - I liked the relationship that Billy had with his stepfather, Richard and his friend Elaine, but there isn't really a lot of plot!

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
In contrast, this was one of the best books I have read (or listened to). The narrator of my Audible edition was spot on with each of the very individual voices of the four daughters and mother. The Price family move to the Congo following the father's desire to preach, but are completely unprepared what awaits them there. During their passage from childhood to adulthood and throughout the Congo's turbulent history their fates are very different: for some it is tragedy, others love or escape. This is one of those books which has you laughing and crying - absolutely brilliant.

The Wonder by Emma Donaghue
This was my first book from the Willoughby Book Club (a Christmas gift from my sister), and I was really pleased with it because I have wanted to read this. With the book club you enter in details of what you have read in the past and receive books based on this.

It is about a girl called Anna who is held up as a miracle by her community because she has supposedly existed without food for months. A couple of nurses are sent to watch over her and verify this miracle, but as Anna's health rapidly declines, they feel complicit in her demise.

Currently reading: The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Currently listening to: The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts