Sewn: Taffy Blouse

Don't even ask me why I am sewing with georgette in the same week that the frosts start! I am just doing what I fancy, although the wool blend skirt might be next on my list!



Pattern: Taffy Blouse featured in Colette Sewing Handbook. I think I have had this book for approximately four years but this is the first thing I have actually sewn from it. I am trying to move out of my sewing comfort zone by experimenting with different fabrics and the fact that this recommends sheer fabric cut on the bias and finished with French seams and bias binding probably ticks all those boxes!



Fabric: I bought two metres of navy double georgette (I'm all up for sheer, but if I'm wearing something to work, I'd rather my colleagues not need to see all the intricacies of my underwear!) and five metres of a beautiful bronze satin acetate bias binding, both from Minerva Crafts. I had a little wait for my order because they didn't have the binding all in one piece, but overall very happy with the service. 

Looking a little stern here!


Cutting: I was a little nervous at cutting out a sheer fabric on the bias, so I created a mirror image of the front and back pattern pieces (old wrapping paper did the trick) in order for me not to have to cut on the fold. 



Size: My bust and hips matched the Size 0 but my waist a Size 8, so I chose to cut out the Size 6, and it is fine. I cut the longest length out because I'm not a fan of a top being too short, and I want the option to tuck it in too.


Alterations: I had to adjust the ties up a little as they were sitting at a really odd place for me. 

Conclusion: Colette Patterns really hold your hand through the sewing of this pattern, and where they referred to sewing a french seam or attaching the binding, I just had to flick to the right page of the book for detailed instructions. 

I am really surprised how well the fabric sewed, but I did use the smallest needle in my machine that I could find and used a walking foot, and I didn't really encounter any slipping at all. 

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts