Sew: Plans Autumn 2018

After the success of my cape (worn twice now, but it's still a bit too warm to wear it all the time), I am all fired up and ready to continue my dressmaking again. I've got concrete plans for two items, one of which makes use of the remnants of the wool blend fabric which I used for my cape and the other is a light top.

Image from Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardbrobe


So, I'm making the Pencil Skirt from the Great British Sewing Bee book, Sew Your Own Wardbrobe with the wool blend and that is all cut out and had been waiting for an invisible zip to arrive (which now has). I'm really in two minds whether to have the navy side facing or the pale blue. The pattern isn't lined, but I do plan to line it because I really hate it when wool gets caught on your tights! 



The second garment I am planning to sew is the Taffy Blouse from Colette....I know it's quite an old pattern but I like the sleeves. 

Image from Colette Sewing Handbook


I've bought a navy blue double georgette and some bronze coloured satin bias binding. I have never sewn with georgette before so it's going to be a learning experience! I have read that it is best to mark which side is the right side with chalk, but how can I tell which is which? 😕


I also bought on a complete whim some crepe fabric with a fox motif. I only have two metres of it so I may only have enough to sew a top, but part of me would really like to have a go at the Stitch Sisters free Kaftan paper which is drafted entirely out of rectangles. I love how Lisa's kaftan turned out.


What are your sewing plans this season?

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. You've got a nice collection of plans put together! You are right in that it is quite hard to tell the 'right' side from the 'wrong' side of fabric sometimes. What has helped me is to look at how the selvedge edges are woven. If you look v-e-r-y carefully, comparing each side over and over again (!) you can probably figure it out that way. And thank you so much for the kind compliment!!! The Stitch Sisters Kaftan was a simple fun project. Look forward to seeing your plans come together! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts