Craft: Pottery Taster Session at Barrington Pottery

Back in February, my husband Dave and I attended a pottery taster session at Barrington Pottery. This was a gift that my lovely sister gave us over a year previously, but for various reasons (and probably partly because I kept telling Dave that it would be like that scene in Ghost), it took me a while to get on and book it!




It was a freezing cold day, but in a fabulous setting: within the grounds of the National Trust property, Barrington Court. There are various craft businesses in the grounds, including a quilting shop! I only bought the one fat quarter!



Our taster session was held with three other ladies and started with a coffee and biscuits and a really interesting talk about the history of pottery in this area. Then we had a demo before we each had a go at throwing some pots.



You start by kneading the clay, a little like you would with bread, except the idea is to remove any air bubbles. Then you are left with clay balls to take to the potter's wheel.

Dave's pots before firing

The key to a good pot is to keep it centred. I really enjoyed this bit. It is quite difficult to get the speed of the wheel right - Dave kept being told he was going too fast! I produced four dishes - I just wasn't very good at getting any height on them - I think I was just too careful or timid or something. Dave produced one pot which was much taller, but five in total.




It was great fun, and Marion and Paul were on hand to help with any problems. It did make my back ache though! At the end of the session, we selected our favourite three pots to be fired and glazed. 

These are two of the ones I made

The blue bowl is my final piece (others by Dave)


I am so pleased with the results. Between us we managed to produce some cool pots, and they are all dishwasher and oven proof too! I have been using a couple of mine for chucking pins in and as a thread/trimmings catcher.



I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to have a go at pottery, or if you're in the area, pop into their workshop.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts