As usual, in my rush to start a project, I didn't think the quilt rules through, so after "chevroning" up all the pretty fabrics some months ago, I had to unpick half of them when I realised that I needed to sew it in straight lines to avoid those tricky Y seams! But, I love how it has turned out!
It totally fits in with the theme Mix because it is a mix of fabric designs and, breaking all the rules, materials (cotton, linen and a little bit of polycotton too)! It feels smugly frugal to use up my fabric scraps in this way. I used an old duvet cover for the backing, some leftover dress fabric for the binding and even the batting was pieced together with (large) scraps.
This is the first time I have constructed a quilt sandwich"properly"- previously I have done minimal quilting and added on a backing much as you would a cushion back. This time, I quilted all three layers and used binding for the first time! I do concede that it seems to really frame the quilt.
I machine stitched the front of the binding but could not trust myself to do a neat enough job through from the back, so hand stitched that bit. I found the mitred corners a little tricky - some are neater than others!!
Don't forget to have a look at all the other entries this month over at Le Challenge.